dapperQ (n.) A transgressor of men’s fashion. An authentic, courageous genderbender who uses fashion as a means to expressing our ever-evolving capacity to advance change.
dapperQs are the ones who failed to heed society’s warnings to “act like a lady.” We aren’t interested in femming it up, or fitting traditional molds. In the voice of dapperQ’s Transgressor-in-Chief, Susan Herr:
For dapperQ’s, fashion is not seen as an end. It is, instead, a means to expressing our ever-evolving capacity to advance change in a world that sorely needs it. dapperQ is intended not only to inform but to inspire those of us simply dressing to fight the good fight each day.
dapperQ is a visibility project that celebrates the inner and outer beauty of masculine-presenting lesbians, gender-nonconformists and genderqueers, and transmasculine individuals of all colors, shapes, and sizes. dapperQ does have a fashion focus. But, more importantly, it serves as a vehicle to explore fashion as a social construct, providing our readers and writers with a safe space to document and discuss how gender role expectations, particularly with respect to gender identity and expression, shape who we are as individuals and as a community.
dapperQ is an inclusive website; we welcome all of our queer and straight allies to join the conversation.
If you are new to the site, here’s what you should check out next:
- Why dapperQ? – A message from our founder about the inspiration and story behind dapperQ.
- Vimeo page – A collection of our original videos documenting street fashion, interviews, “How-To” instructions, and performance art.
- Photo + Video – Our archive of fashion editorials, “How-To” videos, and event/street fashion shoots.
- News + Interviews – Articles about and interviews with members of our community.
- Goods – Designers, brands, apparel, and accessories that our contributors are obsessing over. We even have an eco-friendly section!
- Style + Advice – An archive of answers to your most challenging fashion quandaries.
- Empowerment – Articles, personal essays, opinion pieces, and artist spotlights that provide support and inspiration for our readers.
- A Washington Post article by Monica Hesse that gives us a nod.
- Come play with us! Friend dapperQ on Facebook! Tweet us @dapperQ! Subscribe! Just join the conversation! Welcome…