dapperQ Jess writes: “So summer’s almost here, and I’m the only one in Massachusetts who’s less than thrilled. I love winter, myself: layers, sweater vests, blazers. button-downs. It’s easier to accessorize, easier to hide my chest size, and easier to wear a binder without sweating like crazy.
When it’s 85 degrees and humid, what do the DapperQs do?? I can only wear a polo shirt so many days in a row… Any advice? Thanks for your input, and thanks SO MUCH for this website.” (That’s Jess on the right in a polo shirt at a chocolate fountain where all lesbians would be if they could.)
In a similar vein, Claire writes: “Can you do a segment on sandals? Summer is coming around again, and like every year I resign myself to wearing lightweight sneakers all summer with the occasional flip flop. I just haven’t been able to find a nice stylish men’s sandal in my size (men’s 5-6). Is there such a thing? Any advice would be appreciated.”
A couple of thoughts:
1. Community Input – Fact is, there is nobody here but us chickens. No staff. Mostly moi. But! dapperQ was established in order to tap the wisdom of the crowd. So, we have GOT to get the dapperQ voices heard. Please add your comments/advice below.
2. Rubber and Road – Because I wear less in the summer, I definitely decrease my bagel to belly ratio. Since I’ve been trying to eat seasonally – and gave up meats about 18 months ago – summer is the time when fruits and veggies finally become available and I indulge. It has taken me awhile to develop a liking for such things – but doing so has radically transformed my body composition (even if I haven’t really dropped pounds.)
3. Frog Bras and Double T’s — I can’t say it’s comfy, but my Frog Bra from Title Nine brings my 34C or D, based on the season, into lines I like to sport in summer. But I do think I will have to wear two t-shirts if I want smooth lines. I like wearing contrasting colors (today I had black over lilac) and the fact that the undershirt soaks up the sweat. Most dudes seem to wear undershirts so I think we might just have to be a little hot.
4. Short Sleeves – I’m going to be rocking a lot more short sleeve button up shirts this summer and I’m going to couple them with whimsical bow-ties. I also like buttoning these shirts up to the collar and not having on a bow-tie. Kinda preppy/pachuco fun.
5. Hats – Obviously winter is great for hats, but summer is too. Take the time to try on a variety of hats and to see what brims suit you and how they should be positioned on your head. You might also want to take a member of your target demographic along, since we often have trouble seeing ourselves as we really are. My favorites have all come from vintage stores.
6. Sandals – Whose got advice for Claire? Men have very sexy sandal options. Who offers ’em in smaller sizes or for women in styles that aren’t nauseating?
SummerQ is a great topic and I look forward to reading responses from all of you below!