Wondering if you’re a true dapperQ? Check your pulse right now. If it’s elevated after a peek at these buttery beauties carried exclusively by Brooks Brothers, chances are strong that you are one of us. God help you, not only because the shoes on this site average $500, but also because your chances of finding a pair sized smaller than women’s 10 are slim to none.
I did a little research after feeling the lust surge when my most recent issue of Details arrived yesterday, featuring photos of similar shoes (also known as brogues) in an article titled, “goingbrogue.” The two pages of photos, which their site doesn’t yet link to, include examples by Brunello Cicinelli, Florsheim by Duckie Brown, Calvin Klein White Label, D & G, John Lobb, Black Fleece by Brooks Brothers, Giorgio Armani and Dunhill.
I went by the DSG in Union Square and couldn’t find any under size 8 either. I’ve got several questions for ya:
1. Do wingtips make every dapperQ swoon? I’m not talking about every pair. And I’m not suggesting that they fit with every person who is queering men’s fashion. If they aren’t a true litmus test for dapperQ’s, I want to know.
2. Who of us are sporting them and where did you find them? Going to check with my friend Erin who seems to know a thing about finding hip shoes on eBay. If you’ve got photos, can you please mount them to the dapperQ Facebook page or our Google Map so we can see?
3. Are there shoe makers for boys and young men who might have what we want in the sizes we need?
In the meantime, my research disclosed a few more reasons why we need dapperQ:
1. This issue of Details also has an article entitled “The Lure of Dating an Ex-Lesbian” which they refer to as a “hasbian.” I promised I’d stick to fashion, so any of you can go there if you want, but it’s off limits for me. Anyway, I’m pretty sure that the hasbians these straight guys are looking for aren’t “hasbedapperq’s.”
2. There is a world of difference between dapperQ’s wearing wingtips and men wearing them. Here’s a video that tells (ostensibly straight) women what wingtips say about a man. I await, with glee, your version of what they say about a dapperQ. Until then…